Today we built a new pen for the chicks that are arriving in the morning! We used new lumber and new wire (2×2 and hex-wire). The finished pen is 48 inches square and 30 inches tall. We are going to make another one in the Spring and I think it will only be 24 inches tall as it is a little hard to reach the middle of the pen at 30 inches (for me).
I drew up a basic design and Justin built the frame for me.
Once the frame is finished:
I painted it a pretty orange color with some Oops! paint I got at Home Depot for $1
Next we stretched wire on the lid, the bottom and the sides
Next we added some support brackets in the corners of the lid, the top rim and the bottom
Justin’s mom stopped by and helped a bit so I could take some pictures 🙂
The next step was to staple the fencing securely inside and out to keep it tight
We added an 8 inch draft guard around the bottom. Once all the wire is secure we attached the lid and put on some handles and now we have a nice sturdy, safe pen for our baby birds!